Monday, October 11, 2004

About this site

The reason for creating and having a site varies from one person to the next.

My sole purpose is to list freeware that I have found or been informed about, and that I find useful for my needs.
I seek not to list ALL freeware as that is merely a pandering to the lowest common denominator of having the BIGGEST listings.
I prefer to know of what I list and endorse.
So there are bigger (and less personal) "freeware" sites out ther but I just do what I do as I see fit to do.

For the record, if a site doesn't at least run a program through the riggers, how can you know it is actually freeware????

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Freeware is defined by me/this site, as free software that is just that - FREE to use with no restrictions, contains no malware (no adware, no spyware, etc.) of any kind and requires no payment or registration that seeks to extract private informations for the use of marketing.

That may be a rather narrow realm for listings, but I feel it is totally WRONG to just list software and pass it off as "freeware" and further insult the great freeware developers by perpetuating the blatant lie that continues online by many purported "freeware" sites who work only to have the biggest set of listing and whose site generally does contain 'less' than true freeware. For developers to labor and create freeware only to have their creations lumped in with programs that are encumbered with limitaions, demands for money (which is NOT wrong as long as said authors clarify that their works are not frereware but are shareware or trials or time limited demos or such).

It should also be made clear that end users deserve better treatment than to be misled by what is not truly freeware.

On a personal note - I look to a day when the online experience is less wrought with the need to be leery or cautious regarding "freeware". Perhaps a time will arrive where webmasters will display a respect for end users by being 'honest' and detailing if their site(s) are merely libraries/resources for downloadable software and not totally just freeware. If a webmaster merely culls alleged "freeware" and lists it without any verification as to the authenticity of said "freeware" as being that, they should run such a disclaimer prominiently throughout their site(s).

For just posting alleged freeware to post for the sake of being the most "up to date" and enlarge their listings is underahnded, deceitful and conveys a rather disingeniousness as well as contemptable arrogance.

No comments: